Saturday, January 16, 2010

Where can I get a cannister for the 'evaporative emission control' on my 73 Beetle?

The unit is located under the r.r. fender of the standard Beetle.Where can I get a cannister for the 'evaporative emission control' on my 73 Beetle?
I would just open it up and dump the crap out of it, and put it back in just for show. Even if you're state still emission tests a 73 vehicle, I don't think the evap canistor would affect the outcome.Where can I get a cannister for the 'evaporative emission control' on my 73 Beetle?
These are no longer manufactured for aftermarket, as of last I checked anyway. Most emission systems are removed on those cars by now, so I guess there was not enough demand.





I've heard of people opening them up and cleaning them out, filling with aquarium supply charcoal and reinstalling. No clue as to how effective that really is.


You might want to search the forums on thesamba.com in the 68-up Beetle forums. I recall there are some threads on the subject you can search for there.
If you have your old one, you can cut it apart and remove all the activated charcoal out of it and then use a pvc or rubber seal patch on it.





You can also take a 2 inch piece of pvc, about a foot long, and two end caps drilled for the fittings, fill it with activated charcoal (think aquarium shop) and then glue 2 hose nipples on it and glue both end caps back on...





On the forums.vwvortex.com (cabriolet) a gent did just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment